1. WHY DID YOU JOIN THE MISS BAHAMAS UNIVERSE COMPETITION?
With an extensive portfolio in pageantry, modeling, public speaking and international ambassadorship; I felt that entering the Miss Bahamas Universe Pageant would offer me an outstanding platform to showcase my abilities, enhance my skills in community involvement, social etiquette, talent development/self expression and public relations. As a Mass Communications major and currently serving as a VIP Coordinator for some of the country’s most elite clientele at the world renowned Atlantis Paradise Island Resort, I have developed a passion for working with people. Now equipped with all this, obtaining the prestigious title of Miss Bahamas Universe 2009 will serve as an amazing avenue for the promotion of our country in this historical moment where The Bahamas makes ready to serve as the official host country of the 58th Annual Miss Universe Pageant.
2. IF YOU WERE TO BECOME MISS BAHAMAS 2009, WHAT WOULD BE THE FIRST THING THAT YOU WOULD DO?
When preparation meets opportunity, success is inevitable! Given that, if I were to become the new Miss Bahamas Universe 2009, it would be crucial to my success to begin an intensive training regime at an international standard to ensure that I am completely prepared for the Miss Universe pageant and everything else that would await me in my new role.
3. WHAT IS THE MOST UNIQUE OR UNUSUAL THING THAT HAS HAPPENED TO YOU IN YOUR LIFE?
By far, I must say that the most unique thing that has happened for me over the past 22 years of my life would have been the opportunity to serve as an international beauty ambassador for The Bahamas on three (3) occasions in one (1) year. Through my previous extensive involvement in the pageant arena, I was afforded the opportunity to travel to Ethiopia, Egypt and China to represent the country at the Miss Tourism of The Millennium, Top Model of The World and Miss Tourism Queen respectively. The experience was unique for me because it not only opened my eyes to the wider world of pageantry but it was also an accomplishment that no Miss Bahamas representative has even done to date. It was always a dream of mine to travel to countries rich in ancient history, and luckily that dream was achieved.
4. DO YOU THINK THE SWIMSUIT CONTEST AT BEAUTY PAGEANTS DEGRADES WOMEN?
As an avid pageant enthusiast and advocate I believe that a beauty queen’s feature should be showcased both internally and externally. Thus, the swimsuit contest shows the physical beauty of a potential queen which not only allows her to showcase her physical fitness, but also exude confidence.
5. GIVE AN IDEA OF WHAT YOUR NATIONAL COSTUME WILL BE AND WHAT DOES IT REPRESENT?
My costume represents the Flamingo. As our National Bird, it is found in our Bahamian “best kept secret”—Inagua. The world famous Flamingo show is also the highlight event of our Ardastra Garden, Zoo and Conservation.
6. WHAT ARE THE THREE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO DO AS MISS BAHAMAS 2009?
With studies in Mass Communications and exposure to tourism, entertainment and media, I can achieve the following with the assistance of private and government organizations:
- As a member of the National Art Gallery, I would love to promote our Bahamian Arts & Crafts. Our straw work, fashion designs, and art galleries need to be featured, marketed, and sold on an international level through magazines/catalogs and e-commerce.
- I want to work closely with the Ministry of Youth, Sports and Culture to see our burgeoning entertainment industry recognized nationally and internationally. I don’t think that our local artists and filmmakers are given much credit and are not showcased enough where natives and visitors can enjoy.
- Promotion of islands of lower populace with a categorical approach: North, Central and Southern Bahamas (i.e. culture, people, native dishes, crafts and activities) by major consumer publications as part of important public relations/marketing communications initiative for the Ministry of Tourism to help showcase the beauty, history and culture of The Islands of The Bahamas to people around the world.
7. IF YOU HAD TO RESIDE ON ONE OF THE FAMILY ISLANDS IN THE BAHAMAS, WHICH WOULD IT BE AND WHY?
I would reside on Exuma. With 365 islands alone, you're able to enjoy a new island experience for everyday of the year…of course, except when it’s a leap year!! The Exuma Islands are a unique splash of underwater adventure, and are part of the many islands that make up our legendary vacation destination, The Bahamas. I had one opportunity to visit the cays by the Powerboat/Island World Adventures snorkeling/day tour excursion and I wish I saw more of the island. The highlight of the day was seeing a hog drink a can of Kalik! I’m excited about my second visit which will be as a competitor in the Miss Bahamas Universe’s Swimsuit/Spokesmodel Competition.
8. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE COLOR AND WHY?
Yellow—bright, cheerful, and hard to miss
9. TELL VIEWERS A LITTLE ABOUT THE BAHAMAS AND WHY YOU LOVE IT SO!
We are the only country in the world that is considered an archipelago (chain of islands). Of our 700 islands, rocks and cays, only 29 are actually inhabited! Thus, there is more to explore as each island is unique in culture, history and diversity.